Sunday, April 5, 2009

Week 8, Thing #19.1



One feature I have used before is the "folder". I created an Ebsco account a while ago and had information in my folder, but did not know you could make multiple folders. This screen shot shows the content of my new "MultiMedia & Internet@Schools" folder. This magazine is new to me, but I will be following it with the RSS feed I first sent to my bloglines account, then to this site.
Another good feature of the ebsco databases is the Subjects list that shows to the left of the results list. This gives related subjects to search if the information needed wasn't found in the first search.
After a visit to Alaska's Digital Archives (SLED), I tried to save a page of photos I had selected as "my favorites" and save as a web page then download it to this blog. This attempt failed. Any suggestions? Here is a photo that shows the location of Juneau's Thunder Mountain High School. I added the "X-marks-the-spot" using Windows Paint.

Mendenhall Valley and Glacier, accessed April 5, 2009, from http://vilda.alaska.edu/u?/cdmg21,2515.

A new Digital Pipeline feature coming soon is Notetaking. "Write notes associated with the articles you are viewing. Notes will be stored in your folder for future reference, with links back to the original context." This will really help with student research. They could have "virtual note cards" instead of 3x5s falling out of their binders!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Raandi,

    I've been meaning to thank you for all of the great ideas you've posted on your blog! From sharing Joyce Valenza's digital media Ning to creating a Library Thing widget on the Battle of the Books.

    Lorrie

    P.S. I love your choice you YouTube video! I think Ken Robinson's take on the future of education is the best one out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard about the notes feature that they are bringing on board. Wow will that be great for the classes I am taking. Save me a lot of time.....

    I think the problem with the embed is that EBSCO is a password protected site. I looked around a little but didn't have a lot of time. Sorry i can't help with that.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete