Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chapter 1 – New World, New Web, New Skills

Chapter 1 starts with, “Think back to when you were in school; consider how different everything was then”. Just today, I had a conversation with a colleague about writing college term papers. I reminisced about using the electric typewriter and eraser cartridges. He had never seen an electric typewriter, luckily I have one on hand (for emergencies) to show him. “How do you delete?” was one concern of his. I would venture that the question, “how do you gather information, analyze, prioritize, adapt, communicate, collaborate with, create and share this information?” is our present concern.
Web 2.0 tools promote creativity, communication, and collaboration. They also allow students to choose tools that mesh with their learning style.
One thing that caught my eye was the statement from The Partnership for 21st Century Skills that states: “Students cannot master 21st-Century skills [which they will need in their future endeavors] unless their teachers are well trained and supported in this type of instruction.” It is my hope to try to integrate more of these skills into what I teach in the library and support other educators in their efforts also.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the other part of this is that while our students are often tech involved, they don't know how to use it effectively, for information retrieval and analysis, as you mentioned above.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete